Monon Vs Everybody
Monon Vs Everybody
FKT is shorthand for “Fastest Known Time” — essentially, a speed record on any given route. In the world of trail running, FKTs on iconic routes are hotly contested and widely discussed. In the world of urban running, however, FKTs have largely been an afterthought. But that changes this May when MTC and Athletic Annex put their own spin on the concept.
The rules of this challenge are simple. Run the routes, submit your times, and see how your results compare to the competition. There is no entry fee or registration required. Runners have 31 days to take on the challenge and there will be prizes (see below).
In addition, we've created a print to track your progress. These will be available for local pickup only at Athletic Annex in Nora (1300 E. 86th St.) from 4/30 to 5/9. Purchase isn't necessary to participate, but this thing is pretty slick. And a portion of the proceeds from each print sale will benefit Growing Places Indy. They have a really cool mission, so be sure to check them out.
Entry Fee: Zero. Just go out and run. The only requirement for participation is that you run the routes and submit the times.
Dates: This challenge begins on 5/1 and formally concludes on 5/31. However, if you run the routes and submit your times later, we will add them to the leaderboard.
Recording/Submitting Your Run: All submitted times must be supported by GPS data synced via Strava or Garmin. All runs must be recorded on “Race” mode and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted on Instagram with the tags @monontrackclub and @athleticannex. If you go the Instagram route and your account is set to private, shoot us a DM with a screenshot of the post. Our team will verify all results to ensure that details are accurate and you will only be added to the leaderboard after that has been done. You can run the routes as many times as you'd like. And anyone who documents completing each segment in an MTC singlet gets an extra little something.
Each route is south to north. This is important. You should read it again. Also, don't actually run into the middle of the street to finish. That would be unwise.
Some areas can get congested with pedestrian traffic during the weekend, particularly Broad Ripple and Carmel. Please plan your running accordingly.
Finally, all Monon bridges and tunnels (except the Carmel detour) are part of the official Strava Segments. Anyone taking shortcuts around these will be disqualified.
- Downtown (~4.8mi) - The official start is 10th Street and the finish line is 54th Street. Please note that the Monon Trail is set to close from 10th Street to roughly the O'Bannon Soccer Park beginning in mid-May. We strongly recommend that you do this segment early in the month.
- Parking available on Dorman St., 10th St., and other neighborhood streets. Please do not park in business parking lots.
- Broad Ripple (~5.3mi) - The official start is 54th Street and the finish line is 96th Street.
- Parking available on Winthrop Ave. and other neighborhood streets. Please do not park in business parking lots.
- Carmel (~5.2mi) - The official start line is 96th Street and the finish line is the end of the 146th Street bridge. Please note there is a detour on this segment with posted signage beginning just south of City Center Dr. The detour is a part of this year's official Strava Segment for the event. The detour is no longer in effect and a new segment has been created to reflect that. If you already ran Carmel with the detour, you will receive a time bonus.
- Parking available at Monon South Trailhead off of 96th St.
- Westfield (~5.8mi) - The official start line is the north side of the 146th Street bridge and the finish line is 199th Street. Be aware of the merger on this segment with the Midland Trace Trail. Staying on the official Strava Segment requires a sharp right turn
- Parking available at the Rohrer Rd. Monon Trail Access.
- Parking available at the Greyhound Pass Monon Parking Lot.
- Sheridan (~5mi) - The official start line is 199th Street and the finish line is near Opel Street where the trail dead ends into a yellow gate.
- Parking available at the Monon Trail North Entrance on 191st St.
- Parking available on side streets in Hortonville off of 206th St.
- Parking available at the end of the Monon Trail just off of Opel St.
For more detailed information on the routes check out the Strava Segments, hyperlinked above.
Prizes: The female and male who post the fastest time on the combined segments (the FKT holders) each win a $50 gift card from our friends at Athletic Annex and a $50 gift card from Monon Track Club. In addition, everyone who runs or walks all five segments will be entered into a drawing and five lucky winners will receive a $25 gift card from Athletic Annex and a $25 gift card from Monon Track Club. Follow the @monontrackclub and @athleticannex pages on Instagram for updates!
Rules of the Road/Monon: Runners are expected to follow all traffic laws, park regulations, and obey appropriate social distancing requirements during their runs.
Assumption of the Risk: Running may be considered a potentially dangerous activity, and anyone who attempts this challenge assumes all risks associated with participation. If you are not comfortable accepting these risks, please do not attempt this challenge.
Also Presented By: